Saturday, January 30, 2010

Ray is in a Room

When I went downstairs at the motel this morning, I was told that it would take 30-45 minutes to get a taxi. Probably because there was at least an inch of snow on the ground and it was steady coming down. A couple (the wife had had a heart catherization yesterday!!!) were checking out at the same time, planning to drive to Smith Mountain Lake (down the windy, mountainous I81 near Blacksburg!!) so they offered to drop me off at the hospital. I took them up on their offer to bring me to the hospital, and for their generosity, told them they were crazy to be driving to Smith Mountain Lake in this weather. The wife said, yeah, that's what their son told her. (Just what I need: somebody else to worry about.)

When I got to the PACU, Ray had had a "bath" and was feeling pretty good. He said they had taken him off the pain pump, and soon, he hurt so bad, he said I was right, that he SHOULD take the pain meds BEFORE the pain got bad, so he called for some. He also said he had tried to get up during the night by himself to use the urinal, and soon discovered that this was not a very good idea, just as I had told him. So, I said, is there any chance that you might start--sometime soon--paying attention to what I tell you. He said he would, but it sounded to me like he had stuck out his hand, palm-side down, and wriggled it from side to side. I assume you know what that means!

He was moved from the PACU to a room on 4 West about 11:30 AM. First order of business? Find the channel with a basketball/football/soccer game. Everything was then in order.

I'm not going to post his room number, because we're not going to be here long enough to receive cards or flowers, and phone calls are problematic because he's in a double room. No roommmate yet, but he may have one soon.

The biggest problem we have now is that I'm coming down with a cold, and I'm frantic to NOT give HIM a cold! What the hell can you do about a fledgling cold? I'm already taking about 500 mg of zinc and would take more if I had it. The nurse gave me a mask to wear, and I'm washing my hands frequently. Please put a big prayer for NO COLD on your list.

Some of you have mentioned that you weren't able to post a comment. Apparently you need a gmail account or one of the other communication items in the profile list. OR, click on Ray's picture, then click on the Mail link on the left and send him an email message.

OK, that's it for now. I probablY won't post again tonight unless something really exciting happens, but please send email though the mail link, and I'll be sure he sees it before I leave tonight. Thanks for keeping up with us. It means so much to us.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting all about Ray's great adventure. It so wonderful to hear he is doing good. I love the wiggle waggle hand bit. Do you think he will ever really take your advice? Kay, I do hope your cold does not really blossom. Hopefully it is just an allergy to the hospital. My thoughts are with you. Watch out for the snow. As you have heard, we are getting our lovely share of it too - about 6 inches so far.
    Great healing thoughts for continued good recovery and no cold. Also thinking of you while you try to get around in the snow. Be safe.
    Love, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I should have signed that Nancy Krause. Wasn't aware of how it would post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, it sounds like you have your hands full. We love you both. Keep warm and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ray/Kay
    Sure am glad to hear Ray is doing well. I know Ray will really listen to you Kay, and do whatever you think is best for him! (Sure I do). Get better soon Ray. Kay is doing her part keeping us all informed on your progress, now you do your part by giving her just good news to write about.

    Jack Nixon

    ReplyDelete